Campaign For Travel Insurance Needs Of Those With Medical Conditions
The Association of British Insurers (ABI) recently published the details of a new Foreign and Commonwealth (FCO) travel insurance campaign on its website, declaring its support for the initiative.
The existing 'Know Before You Go' campaign will be extended and built upon, helping to highlight the needs of people with medical conditions when it comes to purchasing travel insurance. It is hoped that the campaign will help these travellers to stay safe and protected while abroad.
As part of the campaign, the ABI and FCO both offer these essential tips for anyone travelling with existing medical conditions:
- 1. Ensure that you answer any questions about your medical history honestly and in full. Any changes to your health condition should be disclosed to your insurer before travelling.
- 2. It's important to read your policy documents closely, so that you are aware of what it does and does not cover.
- 3. Consider using specialist broker or insurers, and a single trip policy may prove more beneficial than an annual one.
- 4. Bear in mind the local medical facilities of where you are planning to travel – how advanced are they, and will they be able to deal with your condition? Medical care expenses can also vary from country to country, so it may be worth re-thinking your choice of destination.
- 5. Ensure that you have a European Health Insurance Card for any emergency state healthcare in Europe; but remember that this won't cover you for travel back to the UK.
Sher Houston from the FCO's campaign team, also advised that the FCO travel insurance page is a useful resource for further advice and information www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo
Please click this link for information about buying travel insurance for pre existing medical conditions and to compare quotes from specialist medical travel insurers >>Compare Quotes Now