Travel Blog

How Much Travel Insurance Do I Need

Once you’ve booked your trip, the next thing to do is to shop around for your travel insurance.

Standard travel insurance will typically cover you for basic things like trip cancellation, travel delays, and lost luggage, but if you’re travelling long haul, have been diagnosed with a pre-existing medical condition, or are taking an alternative holiday like a cruise, you may need to pay extra for a more comprehensive travel insurance policy.

Specialist travel insurance will provide you with specialist protection, covering you for risks specific to the type of holiday you choose or if you require medical intervention for your condition whilst you’re away, giving you the extra peace of mind to enjoy your holiday fully.

How much should travel insurance cost?

There will be options to shop around for travel insurance, allowing you to compare quotes from a range of providers.

Travel insurance policy prices will vary in cost, but will also vary in the type of coverage they offer. The cost of travel insurance will be affected by the type of insurance you need, for example, single trip or annual cover, your age, your destination, how long you’re travelling for, the type of trip, and any pre-existing conditions you may have.

Choosing the cheapest quote may not mean you’ve chosen the best policy to suit your specific circumstances and needs. It’s best to look at the deal that offers you the best quality and value for the price, which might mean spending a little extra in order for you to be fully covered.

How much medical cover do I need for travel insurance?

Travel insurance providers will usually offer medical cover as part of a standard policy. This should help to cover any medical treatment you might need when you’re away. Medical cover will have a limit on the amount you can claim for, but should be sufficient to cover most if not all of your medical bill.

The amount of medical cover in your policy is influenced by the potential cost of medical repatriation from your destination to home, and also the potential cost of medical bills in the country you’re staying in.  Travel insurance providers will take this into consideration when providing you with a quote for your policy.

If you have a pre-existing condition you must declare it, so your travel insurance provider can give you a quote for a policy that will provide additional medical cover for any treatment you receive because of your condition if you need it.

How much travel insurance do I need for USA?

If you’re travelling to the USA from the UK, you’re likely to need a more comprehensive travel insurance policy compared to a policy for a holiday a little closer to home. This is also likely to mean paying a higher premium. Although travel insurance isn’t a compulsory requirement to enter the USA, it’s important to have a policy should you need to make a claim.

Because travel to the USA is classed as a long-haul journey, the cost of medical repatriation will be significantly higher so your travel insurer will take this into consideration when generating a quote. Medical care is also notoriously more expensive in the US, so your insurance medical cover will be adjusted to try and cover any medical costs you incur.

You can find out more about USA travel insurance with advice and answers to your questions about travelling to the States.

How much travel insurance do I need for Europe?

When you’re travelling to Europe, you will still need to take out travel insurance. The price and cover will vary depending on where you go, as some countries have far better medical access than others.

Having a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will help to cover some healthcare and medical costs, but won’t offer you any protection for things like cancellation, flight delays, theft of your belongings, or lost baggage.

Travel insurance will also help to cover you for expensive medical repatriation costs, should you need to return home following medical intervention or a medical emergency.

Depending on whether you’re taking a single trip, or multiple trips throughout the year, you can choose a European travel insurance policy to suit your needs and to give you the best value for your premium.

You can find out more information and handy tips for travelling to Europe via our guide to travel insurance for Europe too.

How much travel insurance do I need for a cruise?

Cruise insurance is a specific type of travel insurance for cruise holidays.

On a cruise you’ll have access to activities and experiences, and also increased risks, that are specific to a cruise environment. Standard travel insurance isn’t likely to cover you for these activities or risks.

Specialist cruise insurance will cover you for things like missed port departures, changes to the cruise itinerary, the increased risk of cancellation, and cabin confinement.

Some cruises require you to have a suitable policy before boarding, and having a good level of cancellation cover is recommended. Cruise insurance will also cover you for travelling to multiple destinations and different countries.

Cruises also tend to attract an older age group, and this type of insurance typically has no age limit and will include coverage for any declared pre-existing conditions too.

You can learn more about Medical Travel Compared Cruise Travel Insurance here.   

What type of travel insurance do I need?

The type of travel insurance you need for your break will depend on a few factors, including:

How many trips you take a year - If you take several holidays or trips abroad throughout the year, Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance should be the best value and most convenient policy type for you. This type of travel insurance covers multiple trips with a single payment, and you won’t run the risk of forgetting to buy travel insurance if you take a spontaneous last-minute holiday.

How long you stay - Most standard travel insurance policies will cover you for up to 31 days. If you’re planning on travelling for longer than this, Long Stay Travel Insurance could be the best option for you. Whether you’re looking to get some Winter sunshine, or a looking to travel across different countries, long stay travel insurance can protect you for up to 18 months depending on the terms of your policy. The length of time you’re covered for can vary depending on your age, but over 50s can often enjoy the same time allowance as under 50s.

Taking a single trip - If you’re taking a short city break or a two-week family holiday, with no other trips planned, then Single Trip Travel Insurance is your best choice. This type of insurance will cover you for a single trip within a defined period of time, and means you only pay for the time you need.

With access to over 41 travel insurance brokers, get a quote from Medical Travel Compared and choose from a great selection of travel insurance policy prices perfectly tailored to your needs and your trip.

Share on:

Sign up to receive regular updates straight to your inbox. Simply enter your email address…

How Medical Travel Compared works

We’re a specialist comparison website that provides people with pre-existing medical conditions an easy way to find suitable travel insurance. You’ll find a range of guides, articles and tips across our site. Whilst we always aim to provide the most accurate information and guidance, we can’t always guarantee that the information contained in the pages of our website is correct. Because of this, we can’t accept liability if things go wrong and you use the information at your own risk.

  • This site does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment of any medical conditions. You should always consult a medical professional to ensure you are healthy and fit enough to travel.
  • The information on our site does not constitute financial advice. Always do your own research for your specific circumstances as the information contained within this site is built to offer generic, not bespoke guidance.
  • We always endeavour to provide accurate product and price information, but products and rates issued by our panel of providers are live and subject to changes outside of our control and without warning.
  • Occasionally we link to other websites to provide you with additional information or guidance. We can’t be responsible for their content.
  • We aren’t owned by any insurance companies (or have any favourites) so the information we present on our website is unbiased.